These are important moments and memories in my life from the time I entered first grade, to college and to today.

Teaching at UT included an externship in Washington D.C.

Dr. DeWitt Reddick allowed me to stay and teach reporting and editing in the department after I earned my degree. While teaching at UT, I was offered an externship to work in Washington D.C. with the Department of Agriculture so I spent the summer of 1969 writing news releases, magazine articles and radio spots. A coworker and I produced a television show called "Across the Fence" which won an award from the department.  Washington was a blast — the history, the scenery and the night life. 


I sat in a bar called Mr. Henry's and watched American Neil Armstrong become the first man to walk on the Moon. The astronaut stepped onto the Moon's surface, in the Sea of Tranquility, at 0256 GMT. Armstrong had earlier reported the lunar module's safe landing at 2017 GMT with the words: "Houston, Tranquility Base here." 

As he put his left foot down first Armstrong declared: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." He was joined by colleague Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin at 0315 GMT and the two collected data and performed various exercises before planting the Stars and Stripes flag at 0341 GMT.  

 A group of NASA workers were watching the historic event in the bar, and they laughed and cried with happiness at the sight.