These are important moments and memories in my life from the time I entered first grade, to college and to today.

Finally, the University of Texas at Austin was my home.

After three years, I decided to return to Austin on a fellowship to work toward a master's degree in journalism, and I reached that goal in 1966. 

On Aug. 1 of that year I was scheduled to hand in my paperwork for my master's degree. At the same time, Charles Whitman climbed atop the UT tower and fired almost unimpeded for 96 minutes. 


The Tower afforded Whitman a nearly unassailable vantage point from which he could select and dispatch victims. It was as if it had been built for his purpose. In fact, in previous years Whitman had remarked offhandedly to various people that a sniper could "do quite a bit of damage from that Tower."

Since the shooting had closed off the area I needed to traverse to turn in my paperwork, I would have been in the line of fire. For the first time in my life, I was happy to have missed a deadline. May have saved my life. 

I had never experienced the excitement of such a large university. At first, it was frightening. But eventually things slowed down and working toward the degree gave me a new outlook on education in general and journalism in particular.