These are important moments and memories in my life from the time I entered first grade, to college and to today.

A year at Roosevelt and it was on to San Antonio College.

I lasted one semester at Roosevelt because I decided I wanted out of journalism and moved into teaching American History to freshmen. Freshmen? I had not worked with that age group for many years. 

The final straw came one day when I was called into the principal’s office. A teacher whose name I can't recall had nabbed one of my students out of class smoking marijuana in the parking lot. She had come to me during class and said she had a personal problem and could she go to the restroom. 

Like a dummy, I let her go, and she did not go where she said she was going.

Later, the young woman apologized for getting me in trouble. But it was too late. The students drove me batty; finally, I told the principal I needed out. I quit in the middle of the semester near exhaustion and breakdown.  

For several months I had no job. I did odd writing jobs like a drivers education booklet for a San Antonio driving school and public relations copy writing for a free-lance graphic artist.

At that time, my friend from summer workshops, Dub Daugherty (left), who was chairman of the journalism program at San Antonio College and one of the top community college advisers in the nation, asked me to apply for an open position to teach at San Antonio College. 

I would teach Introduction to Mass Communications, Magazine Editing, Introduction to Public Relations and help advise The Ranger and The Fourth Write. I had been teaching a night class in Intro to Mass Comm there for awhile, so I applied,

In 1978, I was hired to teach in the Journalism-Photography Department, and  I was thrilled to join a dynamic team of educators: Daugherty, Lynnell Jackson and Jerry Townsend.