These are important moments and memories in my life from the time I entered first grade, to college and to today.

Now, I'm happy in retirement to look back -- and smile.

As a faculty person at the college, I helped advise the student chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists and was a co-adviser of The Ranger and The Fourth Write magazine. When The Ranger went online, I was the primary adviser and I loved the challenge and followed instructions from the tech-savvy students who knew more than I did.

I continued to teach at summer workshops for high school students at the University of Texas at Arlington and UT-Austin as well as workshops in Oklahoma, New Mexico and South Carolina. It was good to keep working with high school students as it kept me "thinking young." 

Sadly, we lost Dub to AIDS on June 17, 1995, and Lynnell moved to The San Antonio Light as editorial page editor.  Marianne Odom joined the staff and Irene Abrego also came on board -- they taught the reporting and editing classes, Jerry continued to teach photography and Introduction to Mass Communications. Other additions to the department were Sue Merkner and Dr. Edmond Lo.

During my time at Lee and San Antonio College, I was extremely lucky to be recognized by my peers and by various groups for doing what I loved doing.   Click here to see what I'm talking about.

I even had a private office as chair
I became chair of the department (left) and served in that position until my retirement.  Twenty-eight years later, on Aug. 31, 2006, I retired. 

It was a great run at Lee and at San Antonio College, and now I'm in my golden years of retirement.  

I enjoy Facebook as a way of keeping in touch with former students and friends from Lee and SAC. And, I enjoy blogging.