These are important moments and memories in my life from the time I entered first grade, to college and to today.

Pratfall at a tryout leads to a dinner with the First Lady.


This was a favorite cheer at SWTSTC. 
It’s funny how spur-of-the-moment decisions often produce amazing results in the end. 

At SWTSTC, I decided to get really involved. Cheerleader tryouts were being held one night in front of the campus cafeteria, and I jumped in on a lark with some friends. Did I think I could win? No. But, I thought it would be a great way to meet people. 

As I jumped at the end of some inane yell, I slipped on the edge of a sidewalk and fell flat on my fanny. Bystanders roared their approval. My notoriety as a cheerleader who fell on his butt paid off as I was elected president of the student body as a junior. 

Mrs. Roosevelt with fans. 
One once in a lifetime perk came from my political involvement. Eleanor Roosevelt was to visit the college on a speaking tour, and college President John G. Flowers invited four students to have dinner in his home; with Mrs. Roosevelt, and I was one. 

Mrs. Roosevelt entered the dining room one minute before dinner was scheduled to be served. She interacted with her dinner companions as though we were old friends, and later she spoke on the topic "World Concepts of Communism."

A pratfall at a cheerleading tryout led to a political move and eventually to an incredible dinner with the First Lady of the United States and the World.