These are important moments and memories in my life from the time I entered first grade, to college and to today.

Onward to another high school in Port Lavaca, Texas.

Hondo lasted one semester, and then it was on to Calhoun High School in Port Lavaca, Texas, where my brother Jack and his wife, Jan, also taught. 

My assignment was to teach history and government, but Principal Wayman Fitz told me upon arrival that I would have an additional assignment. I could drive a bus or be the sponsor of the Newspaper Club. "Newspaper Club?" I asked. "Yes, and it meets once a month," he assured me.

"Does the school have a newspaper," I asked.  "No," he responded. Little did I know that my life had changed by this new and unexpected assignment, and the district lost a bus driver.

"We'll start one," I said, not knowing a thing about advising. So, The Sandcrab was born. I decided we could do a weekly newspaper, which was unheard of at the time. Two seniors were selected to serve as editors, Linda White, a conservative, and Dick J. Reavis (right), a liberal. Dick J., whose father was the publisher of the Port Lavaca Wave, knew more about journalism and publications than I did. 

Reavis went on to graduate from the University of Texas, he taught at North Carolina State University and he has written six books.  He has written for Texas Monthly and The Texas Observer and was a senior reporter for awhile at both the San Antonio Light and the San Antonio Express-News. Returning to academia, he earned a master's degree from UT-Arlington. He is now retired and lives in Dallas.  

The year was interesting. Each week, I drove to Victoria with the pages to put them on a bus to Cuero where it was printed at The Cuero Record. 

We made it through the first year in fairly good shape although I learned after studying journalism at The University of Texas that it was a bad high school newspaper.