These are important moments and memories in my life from the time I entered first grade, to college and to today.

My first teaching job needed some help from a reading pro.

Dr. Zedler's book
My junior year in college was really my final year; I graduated early. Upon graduation, entrance to law school suffered a setback. New students at that time could not begin classes in the spring; thus, I needed something to do while waiting.

Dad pulled some strings, I think, to get me a job in Pleasanton High School teaching History and Reading. Reading? I had no training to work with high school students unable to read. I needed help — pronto. 

A professor at SWTSTC, Dr. Empress Zedler,  was a nationally recognized expert on reading problems.  Perhaps she could help, I thought, so off to San Marcos to visit. Dr. Zedler was extremely cordial and helpful, and she gave me an hour or so of tips. 

"Use reading material the students can master," she said. "Use 'Reader's Digest.'" She also suggested that I should start with sounds and flash cards. Bless her heart, she must have thought my task was difficult if not impossible, but she smiled and said, "Whatever you can do to help them will be more than they have had."

So, back to PHS. On the first day of reading class, I greeted a dozen students, mostly freshmen and sophomores, mostly minorities and all male. But upward and onward. Out came the flash cards. As I held up a "T," I asked, "What is this sound?" "Ruh," was the response. "This is worse than I imagined," I thought to myself. 

By the end of the spring semester, all 12 students were reading "Readers Digest," and they had developed confidence that they were making progress. Years later, I learned that one student had graduated from college and earned a master's degree in special education. Others graduated high school and entered the workforce.

Thanks, Dr. Zedler.